Candidates must complete the required sea-service and hold the Basic Safety Training Certificate.
Eligibility criteria for sea service
1. Approved seagoing service of not less than:
a) 36 months for direct entry candidates;
b) 18 months for candidates who have satisfactorily completed the Diploma in Nautical Studies
conducted by the Singapore Maritime Academy (SMA);
2. Performed, within the required seagoing service, bridge watch keeping duties under the supervision of the Master or a qualified officer for not less than 6 out of the final 12 months.
Candidates with seagoing service of less than 36 months shall have satisfactorily completed an approved Distance Learning Programme (DLP) .
DLP consists of completing Correspondence course and Cadet Record Book (TARB).
Click Here To Download The PDF Form And Related Information To Enroll For DLP and TARB
3. The qualifying seagoing service must be performed in the deck department and is reckoned from the date of engagement to the date of discharge. At least 6 months of the qualifying service must have been performed within the 5 years preceding the application.
Candidates for Direct entry COC3 Deck programme should comply with the following:
1. Ships to be engaged in International voyages
2. Gross tonnage of ship to be more than 3000
3. Total sea time to be at least 36 months in Deck department (CADET, O/S or A/B)
(Sea time as trainee in any rank is not admissible)
4. Bridge watch keeping on these ships under the supervision of certified officers to be at least 6 months
(within the last 12 months)
5. Sailed preferably onboard Singapore flagged ship or employed by company registered in Singapore
6. Basic educational background
Class 12 school (or) 2nd year of university (or) A-level - at least 60% in Science (Physics, Chemistry), Maths and English
Candidate with less score are required to do 'Distance Learning Program' and complete 'TARB' (Cadet Record Book)
Admission process is divided into 4 parts.
a- Preliminary assessment by SMA
b- Letter of acceptance issued by SMA ( Subject to fulfilment of criteria's listed in preliminary assessment form).
c- Candidate to apply for LOE at MPA , and submit LOA from SMA to MPA
d- On obtaining LOE from MPA , submit LOE to SMA, SMA will guide for Admission formalities.
Please fill up the attached Preliminary assessment form(01.07.2010) without changing any column and send it to us by email as an attached file.
To assess your eligibility to attend this program, each candidate must obtain 'Letter of Assessment' from SMA.
Click here to apply for Letter of Assessment (Letter of Assessment.pdf)
Please fill up and forward this application (for Letter of Assessment) to Capt Satinder Singh Virdi at the following email: email@example.com